Thursday, March 3, 2011

MAC Technakohl Liner in 'Photogravure'

I like the Technakohl Liners from MAC for the fact that they actually adhere to my waterline pretty well. MAC desribes "Photogravure" as a soft black with brown undertones. It looks more brown than black on my eyes or when swatched. 
These retractable eyeliners are supposed to be waterproof and smudge-proof. They do take a while to set - I would say a bit longer than what the Urban Decay 24/7 Glide on Pencils take. Once set, they are not totally budge proof. They do transfer quite a bit but, definitely not to the extent that I end up looking like a panda. Stays put for 4-5 hours(thats how much wear time I get from most waterproof eyeliners in general, except Clarins). You would definitely need an eye makeup remover to completely take it off.
The texture is quite soft and doesn't tug or pull. I've even tried it as an eye base while doing a smokey eye and it works perfectly fine.

Here's a comparison swatch against MAC Feline and Urban Decay 24/7 in Zero. I was surprised to see that it actually looks really brown when compared against some black liners.
Top to Bottom : Urban Decay - Zero, MAC Photogravure Technakohl, MAC Feline
I won't say "Photogravure" is a very unique shade. But, it's great for a soft, smudgy, smokey look and looks amazing all by itself too.
Overall, nice to have and worth the price tag. I would definately love to try out some other shades of the Technakohl liners.
Have you tried MAC Technakohl liners? Do you like them? What are some of your favourite eyeliners? 

20 comments:

  1. I've never tried any Mac eyeliners before. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this Mac Technakohl in graphblack and I am quite happy with it. I do not use it on my waterline though.....use kajal for that. My only complaint is that the tip of my liner isn't sharp anymore so it becomes difficult to draw a thin line. What do you do about that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Becky - You're welcome! MAC eyeliners are nice for the price considering, a lot of drugstore liners are almost $10 and the high end ones are close to $20! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Harshleen - I must try Graphblack soon! About the tip, I am not sure what you can do if it has already worn off. I use this for my waterline and I don't mind a thick line. But, with these kinda tips, I would suggest using it at a slightly tilted angle for a thin line and also that way the sharpness lasts quite sometime, if that makes any sense :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't tried technakohls. I'm too loyal to traditional kohls, but I'm sure you can B2M these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love mac smolder. :D a lot of people complain that it smudges, but it lasts almost all day on me and doesn't smudge at all!
    or guerlain terracota kohl. have you tried that? lastas over 12 hours!!! and zero smudging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @AOYV - You must try Technakohls, they're pretty awesome. Smudges far less than the usual eyeliners from MAC :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Ki - 12 hours??? OMG, that's super amazing!!! I've heard of a Powder kohl from Guerlan...is that the one u r talkin abt? I have a smudging problem with most liners.You're lucky u can get away with no smudging :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have tried Smoothblue which is a teal-like colour. Gorgeous on simple brown eyeshadow. I'm very partial to smudgy pencils like MAC's Phone Number or Buried Treasure. I have worn Buried Treasure so many times and still have more than half a pencil left.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that my powerpoint is over I am inclined to try this in black. I don't think eye pencils count for Back to mac..Gotta check. But if it does I will defly be buying this in black.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Fieran - That's a lot of colors.I did chk Smoothblue in the store n kinda liked it. I'll probably get it next time :) Nice recos :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Jan - I thought the 'twist up' eye pencils are included in B2M but not sure.I might go tomo will ask them :)But even if they don't I think this is a great buy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I threw the cover n din't even bother to check ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah , ok. If thats the case I will defly buy technakohl as opposed to powerpoint..let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dont forget to check out careblend powder!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah, I have to check that n the cream blush too :)haha.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the technakhol liners-my fave is Auto-de-Bleu. I love it on my waterline also.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Tracy - I know, they are amazing on the waterline. One of the liners that actually stay :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am always looking for eyeliners that stay put on waterline. I will check these out next time I am in mac.

    Check out my blog. It is not makeup related but its fun.

    http://lifeasiamseeingit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Sri - These work really well on the waterline...give it a try! Will check your blog out sometime :)

    ReplyDelete